The Stenbock House Rahukohtu 3 [street name + building number] 15161 Tallinn [postal code + city] Estonia [country name (for mailing to Estonia from United States)]
Estonian Informatics Center Rävala 5 15169 Tallinn Estonia
Ordinary and registered letters
Writing of address
- The address of the addressee is to be written on the front side of the envelope, on the right of the address field. The address of the sender is to be written either on the closing flap on the reverse side or in the upper left corner of the address side, in the case of a window envelope -- above the transparent panel.
- The bar code zone, about 15 mm at the bottom of the address side of the envelope, must be left free.
- The address must not contain abbreviated names, conditional characters (letters, numbers or signs) which are not commonly known and may cause difficulties on the delivery of the item to the addressee.
- The Post does not accept registered letters without a sender's address (except the items addressed to competition juries and bearing the notice "Konkurss" (Competition)).
- In the centre of the top of the address side of a registered letter the sender inserts the notice "Tähitud" (Registered).
- The maximum weight of a letter is 2 kg.
- The sum of the length, width and height must not exceed 900 mm; the length of the longest side must not exceed 600 mm. The minimum dimensions are 90 × 140 mm.
- Envelopes (with or without a transparent panel), security envelopes, kraft paper, strong plastic package and cardboard boxes may be used as package of letters. Responsibility for choosing the adequate package rests with the sender.
Posting and acceptance
- Ordinary letters are posted into letter-boxes, which must be set up in places easily accessible to customers, as well as near the entrance into every post office, in order to allow the acceptance of ordinary items at any time.
- Registered letters are posted over the post office counter.
- A sender of a registered letter receives a certificate of posting, which confirms the acceptance of the letter.
- Correctly franked registered letters (i.e. bearing stamps to the required amount of postage), which bear the notice "TÄHITUD" (Registered), but have been posted by means of letter-box, are to be forwarded to the addressee as registered items.
- Ordinary letters are delivered to the post box of the addressee without taking his/her signature confirming the receipt.
- Should an ordinary letter be too big, so that it cannot be put into the post box of the addressee, an advice is left in the addressee’s post box and the letter is handed over in a post office pursuant to a simplified procedure, without requesting any identity document.
- Postal items are not delivered to post boxes, which do not ensure their security; such items are handed over in a post office pursuant to a simplified procedure, without requesting any identity document.
- A registered letter is handed over to the addressee or his/her authorised representative upon presenting an identity document and against his/her signature at the address indicated on the letter.
- A registered letter, except a letter bearing the notice "Väljastada isiklikult" (Deliver to the addressee only), may be handed over, without requesting the authorisation, to a family member of the addressee, provided that he/she is of mature age and presents documents confirming the kinship. In such a case, the receiver indicates his/her degree of kinship with the addressee (mother, father, daughter, son, spouse etc.) before his/her signature.
- Upon receiving a registered letter, a representative of a legal person indicates his/her surname and title.
- For delivering a registered letter, one attempt of delivery is made.
- The number of attempts of delivery is limited to one attempt. If, for any reason, a letter cannot be delivered by the postman during his round, he leaves a notice in the addressee’s post box and the letter is handed over in the post office.
- Upon handing over a registered letter to a representative of a legal person in a post office, the representative is requested to present an identity document and an authorisation document. A registered letter may be handed over without an authorisation document to a person who has the right to represent a company, if the person presents an identity document and a valid B-card of the Commercial Register.
- Upon handing over a registered letter with an advice of delivery, the addressee confirms the receipt of the letter with his/her signature on the advice of delivery.
- For keeping letters, which weigh over 500 g, for a longer time than the established period of free retention, a storage charge is collected pursuant to the established tariff.
- Ordinary letters, not delivered to the addressee, are returned to the sender after the expiry of the period of retention. Such letters without sender’s address are sent as undeliverable items from a post office to the main post office of the county, pursuant to the procedure established for undeliverable items.
- Registered letters, not delivered to the addressee, are returned to the sender after the expiry of the period of retention. Registered letters, which remain unclaimed also by the sender, are sent as undeliverable items from a post office to the main post office of the county, pursuant to the procedure established for undeliverable items.
- Undeliverable items are retained for a period of 6 months.
Liability of Estonian Post
- Estonian Post Ltd. does not assume any liability for the loss of an ordinary letter. · For the loss of a registered letter, Estonian Post Ltd. pays compensation in the amount of EEK100 + the cost of sending.
Additional services for a fee
- Collection from the sender’s office;
- Ordinary or registered advice of delivery.
Additional services free of charge
- Delivery to the addressee only (in the case of private persons, the letter must be provided with the notice "Väljastada isiklikult" (Deliver to the addressee only), see model).
Eesti Post website
Although these links and other information were compiled by BitBoost Systems personnel primarily for the use of such personnel: None of the information included or linked to is guaranteed by BitBoost Systems to be available or correct. Nor is it guaranteed by any personnel or organizations associated with BitBoost Systems. BitBoost Systems takes no reponsibility for the results of using such links or other information.